Monday, August 14, 2006

vintage arabia and rörstrand




photos: flaska online

: : I have mentioned before that my dad [.pappa. swedish for dad] used to work for Swedish china company Rörstrand [in Lidköping, my hometown] and Finnish china company Arabia

Through prints&patterns I discovered this wonderful Japanese website flaska that sells vintage ceramics, most of it cups and saucers from Scandinavian companies like Arabia, Rörstrand and another Swedish company, Gustavsberg. Most of these cups are from the 40's and 50's, many of which I have seen at friend's grandparents houses and flea markets around Sweden. They're becoming more and more popular and therefore more and more valuable. In the US you can find some of them on e.bay.

I think they are all so lovely! Such bold, happy, colorful patterns! I decided to make it a new hobby, to collect vintage cups. Hopefully, every time I go home to visit, I can locate a few of the beauties in the pic. above and bring them back.

.pappa. actually told me a funny stor about the cups, because I thought it was a bit strange to find all these Scandinavian cups on a Japanese website. He told me that at Japanese weddings the wedding couple doesn't recieve gifts, but they give gifts to their guests instead [as if a wedding wasn't expensive enough already]. Often they like to give two of something, and coffee cups turns out to be the perfect gift. Additionally, the Japanese food culture is so different than Western food culture and they rarely tend to use the same plates that we use, if any plates at all. So, that's why the website is comprised mostly of cups and saucers for sale. Interesting fact I thought. : : enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those Arabia Cups are beautiful!!!
Since I found Arabia jam pot in Thrift shop, I fell in love with European china.
Yes, lots of Japanese girls love European vintage goods as I am.

As your father said, A bride and a groom give their guests a gift in Japan.
However, the couple receive money ( $300~$500)from the guests instead.

Lots of Japanese love different food culture such as Italian food and French food.

Therefore, European china is widely available in Japan:)

Jack said...

If so, there is nowhere else better than here for you. There are a wealth of seafood and delicacies in my palace and you can eat whatever you want without anyone stopping you.

cheap wow gold|Tera gold|Cheap Tera gold|Runescape gold|wow gold

cheaptera said...

In America any boy may become President and I suppose Tera gold
tera online gold it’s just one of the risks he takes.How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy.eden gold
buy eden gold
Nobody ever said life was easy…they just promised that it would be worth it.
cheapest wow gold
RS Gold
buy runescape gold